Thursday 13 February 2014

A New Chapter.

I have to warn you this may take a while to read, so grab a cuppa, and a few biscuits and read on.

In my 2013 review in photos, here, I shared a photo from June, I was sat in A&E and had just found out I had fractured my ankle. Whilst I was glad I didn't need surgery, I was worried, I knew this meant big change.
 
Source

To cut a long story short, I moved home, from Cambridge 2 days later and spent 8 weeks on crutches, being signed off sick for 3 months in total. As a nursing student, this was not good news, because of the numerous placements in the hospital, and very little holidays, being fit and healthy is paramount, so there was one option... to intermit for a year.

Whilst I quickly found and started a new job in a nursing home caring for the elderly, the past 9 months have been fairly emotionally tough, constantly wanting to turn back the clock and return to my great life as a student in Cambridge. I guess I want to share some reasons why this time-out has been good for me:
  • I have got out of debt! 
  • Working has given me space and time to develop professionally, hopefully making me a better nurse one day.
  • I have spent 9 months with my amazing dog, which is never a bad thing!
  • Meeting new people in my hometown is great for my university holidays.
  • This blog was born! It has been one of the best experiences of my life!
I am moving back to Cambridge in May and it's needless to say I am very excited. As in all situations, there is always time to think and make positive changes. So here are some of the things I am determined to stick to compared to my previous time at university:
  • I am going to work hard, putting my all into every assignment, exam, and placement. 
  • My room in halls is going to be spotlessly clean, I hope.
  • I will cycle instead of using the bus.
  • I will join at least 1 Society, and get involved with the ARU Student's Union.
  • I will enjoy every day of living in Cambridge, and have no regrets.
So that's my plan for returning to study children's nursing. 

Here's to a new chapter in the life of Lydia (pun inteded)

Lydia
x

No comments:

Post a Comment